Crews respond to fire on Seventh Avenue

Rochelle Fire Department members responded to a fire at 101 7th Ave. in Rochelle late Wednesday afternoon. (Photo by Ellen O'Malley)

One person taken to hospital

ROCHELLE — A resident in a local apartment building escaped serious injury Wednesday evening after a fire started in her living room.

Fire officials were called to 101 Seventh Ave. just after 5 p.m. where they found smoke coming from the building and the resident hanging from an east window. Fire Chief Dave Sawlsville and another resident helped pull her to safety. She was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

The fire was unintentional and thus far it looks to have been caused by a cigarette. The bulk of the damage was contained to a reclining chair, carpet and a wall near the chair.
It was the only unit that suffered fire and smoke damage and the residents of the other 11 units were able to safely return to their homes around 6:30 p.m. after fire officials ventilated the building.

According to Rochelle Fire Department Lt. Zach Prewett, there was very little active fire when they arrived on the scene as the fire was at a point of smoldering.

They did use about 50 gallons of water to ensure the fire was extinguished.

The department was assisted by Ogle-Lee Fire Protection District crews from Creston, Flagg Center, Hillcrest and Steward as well as by the Rochelle Police Department.

Property damage was estimated at $40,000 and damage to the apartment contents was estimated at $5,000.

The property is owned by Seldal Properties. 

Advertisement


Video News