Fire causes damage to home


ROCHELLE — A fire in the 10,000 block of Kuehl Court caused damage to a home Saturday night.

The fire was noticed at approximately 7:30 p.m. and started in the chimney area of the fireplace. 

"We were called to the home at 7:24 p.m.," Rochelle Fire Chief Dave Sawlsville said. "The fire was called in as an attic fire. Upon arrival there was fire pushing out on the back side of the house with lots of smoke."

The fire was initially sent out as a Box Alarm with Rochelle, Flagg-Center, Hillcrest and Steward fire departments responding to the scene while Creston Fire Department responded to the Rochelle Fire Department to take over incoming calls.

The fire was quickly upgraded to a Second Alarm with stations from Stillman Valley, Lynn-Scott-Rock, Ashton, Oregon, Malta and DeKalb called for assistance.

"Firefighters did a really good job of getting water on the fire," Sawlsville said. "There is what we call a scuttle hole in the garage of the home that allows direct access to the attic. Firefighters were able to get water on the fire from inside the scuttle hole."

Sawlsville added that due to the construction of the new home, the building material between the attic and the ceiling of the living area of the home prevented fire from breaching the residence beyond the attic.

While none of the residents were injured, one Stillman Valley firefighter was injured and treated at Rochelle Community Hospital.

"We had one firefighter who was injured after stepping off the roadway into the ditch where snow was deceivingly deep and he fell onto the address sign where he sustained a cut to his neck," Sawlsville explained. "He was transported by Rochelle ambulance to Rochelle Community Hospital where he was treated for his injury."

A GoFundMe page has been started for the Baylor family — owners of the home.

For information visit https://www.gofundme.com/f/teambaylor?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=sms&utm_source=customer-andr.

Preliminary damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Home