No injuries after Creston garage fire Wednesday

There were no injuries due to a fire in a garage in Creston on Wednesday afternoon, Rochelle Fire Chief Dave Sawlsville said.

CRESTON — There were no injuries due to a fire in a garage in Creston on Wednesday afternoon, Rochelle Fire Chief Dave Sawlsville said. 

Rochelle Fire along with Creston Fire and Steward Fire of the Ogle-Lee Fire Protection District responded to the 4:11 p.m. call at 110 N. Center St. Sawlsville said the homeowner was doing some welding in the garage around 2 p.m. and later noticed smoke coming from the overhead door of the garage when he was mowing his lawn afterwards.

“One of his welding sparks must’ve gotten a hold of something flammable,” Sawlsville said. “The garage is finished on the inside, but a spark must’ve gotten behind the wall. The homeowner hit it with a hose before we got there and took care of the flame outside the wall. When we got there we checked inside the wall and put it completely out. It didn’t make it to the attic, which we were worried about.”

Sawlsville said the homeowner is probably looking at $1,200 in damage. Firefighters were on scene for 45 minutes to an hour. 

The fire smoldered between the time of the welding and the smoke and the call to firefighters, Sawlsville said. 

“It was good that he was home and put a hose to it himself,” Sawlsville said. “Welding sparks can be a problem. It was a good outcome and the situation had the potential to be much worse.”

TRENDING RECIPE VIDEOS