Woman calls son, neighbor heroes for helping save home during fire


ROCHELLE — A homeowner is crediting her son and a neighbor for their quick thinking and efforts in helping keep a fire from totally destroying her house on Sunday night.

The Rochelle Fire Department, along with Ogle-Lee Fire Protection District responded to a house fire in rural Rochelle Sunday night.
Crews were called at approximately 9:15 p.m. to 18100 Ritchie Road for a report of a structure fire. When crews arrived on scene, flames were running up the outside of the two-story structure.
Rochelle Fire Chief Dave Sawlsville said the blaze was contained to the rear exterior of the home. The residents, Rich and Laura MacPartland and their son, were home at the time but were not injured. The fire appears to have been held at bay with the help of quick response by the homeowners, their neighbor, and the fire departments.
“Rich, our son, and our neighbor had two fire extinguishers and the garden hose trying to contain the fire by the time the fire department arrived,” said Laura. “The fire department said we only had about another minute before the fire would have reached the attic. The boys and our neighbor are heroes…the fire department was great.”
The fire appears to have been electrical in nature, possibly originating from the well’s wiring. Crews were on scene for over 90 minutes.
Sawlsville said most of the fire was extinguished rather quickly, attributing that to the quick response and homes’ slate exterior and original plaster and wood lathe under the vinyl siding.
Damage was estimated at between $3,000 and $5,000.


Video News
More In Home