ROCHELLE – On Sunday afternoon, Rochelle Fire Department crews were called to an apartment building at 614 Lincoln Highway for reports of smoke near the front door. Reportedly, a lit cigarette had dropped between the cement stoop and wood, igniting leaves and debris. Rochelle Fire Chief Dave Sawlsville said the structure sustained approximately $500 in damage.
Firefighters battled another fire, this time in a field Monday afternoon. At approximately 4:30 p.m. Monday, fire crews were dispatched to a field fire near Twombly and Dement Roads.
Upon investigation, property owners were said to be conducting a controlled burn on the wetland areas of the property. Fire chief Dave Sawlsville said the tall weeds, some reaching as high as six feet, contain an oily-type substance that emits black smoke. The large patches of smoke caused several concerned citizens to call.
Sawlsville advises property owners call in to the station to notify the fire department that they are conducting a controlled field burn.